Showcase and Insomnia

25 Oct

…thankfully, one after the other, and I didn’t try to dance exhausted. Saturday’s showcase went really well, at least the bits I could watch. I was asked to work the ticket counter by the director, and if there’s one thing I’m really good at, it’s taking other people’s money. I worked there through intermission, so I only got to watch if someone didn’t want to give me money.

But what I saw, looked good. In addition to working the table, I also held props and cover-ups for people. We had a new level 2 student take her foray into performing solo, and she did wonderful. I missed my best friend performing, and I want to smack whoever snarkedĀ on her music choice loud enough for her to hear, which threw her totally off. Or so she said, that was a performance I actually missed. She’s gotten really good at floorwork, which is an area that I really suck at.

I was in the second half, so after intermission and a quick check of my hair and makeup (and I hope my makeup worked as well as I think it did. I’m still waiting on photos), I had to go on. The first half of my piece was choreographed to set a mood and theme, the rest was improv. I got an instant reaction to the music, which was pretty different from the fairly slow or fusiony pieces that had been played before, and then I went into performance mode and I have a hard time recalling the rest. I know I was focusing on keeping a smile and not going too blank face, which was a goal, and I didn’t freeze during the improv.

Unfortunately, I know I didn’t hit some of the bits I wanted to do, and my arms could have used work, but I think I did alright. I’ll know when I see the dvd of it.

Even more sucky, is that though I left the after party at 11, after having a great conversation with the tap director, I didn’t fall asleep until 5 am. I tossed and turned, until I took a bath at 4 and read for an hour. I got a few hours of sleep after that, then headed to my sister in law’s to help her with costuming for work. I ironed muslin for hours.

And then didn’t sleep sunday night either. I came home early from work to try to nap, but it never happened. Finally got to sleep last night. I’m working on my sleep debt now, but I’m still exhausted.

Leave a comment

Posted by on October 25, 2011 in Uncategorized


Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: